If you are thinking of moving your pet to Australia, I suggest you first get an idea of what’s involved in this process so that you don’t get hassled mid-way. The most important fact that you need to remember is that the entire procedure can be an expensive one and requires that you navigate through a few controls and restrictions. I will briefly guide you through the various stages involved in moving your pet to Australia and, hopefully, save you time, hassle and money.
1. The most important thing to do first is to confirm that your breed is allowed in Australia (certain dog breeds like dogo Argentino, Japanese tosa, Pit bull Terrier are refused entry) and also whether your pet’s age permits it to travel.
2. Micro chipping your pet will be the next step you take. This needs to be completed before you apply for an import permit. The micro chip must be identified by any ISO compatible reader like a Trovan or Destron.
3. Apply and obtain an import permit – this permit is normally issued only for a period of six months.
4. After obtaining the permit, the next step you need to take is book your pet into a quarantine station for a specified time frame. Issuance of the import permit is no guarantee of space in the quarantine station. Quarantine regulations are strictly followed in Australia. Without this, the import process stands incomplete. You also need to take efforts to find out a government authorized Veterinarian, an official veterinarian and authorized government laboratory.
5. This next step is a very vital part of the entire process. This involves procuring the required veterinary documents from the government approved laboratory and veterinarian. Your pet must not have been under quarantine restrictions in the 30 days before export. These documents play a pivotal role in moving your pet into Australia. Hence exercise great attention in this entire exercise to make it completely fool-proof.
6. The next step is booking the transportation for your pet. There are certain specified air ports through which your pet can enter Australia. Your pet should be booked in an IATA approved container as ‘manifested cargo’. If trans-shipment is required while travel, prior permission must be sought from the quarantine authorities in the country of trans-shipment.
7. Within a fortnight before departure, all regular vaccinations must be given.
8. If your pet is a dog, then it needs to undergo some more tests for additional canine diseases within 30 days of export.
9. Within 4 days of export you need to 寵物入口中國 complete a pre-export inspection and get your pet passed in this certification.
10. Finally, after all the above formalities have been completed, you seal the animal in the shipping container and check it in with the airline. If you are unable to travel with your pet, you might avail the services of many animal transport agents who will do the needful in your absence.
11. On arrival in Australia, your pet will be moved to the quarantine station the costs of which are bearable by the importer and are to be paid before the discharge of your pet from the station.
I have shared the above information to ensure that your entire pet-moving process is totally hassle-free and your pet joins you in you new home as soon as possible.